KICK OFF THE TAX SEASON WITH CASH IN SATURDAY 2012!
You may not know it, but if your income is less than $50,000 per year, you can have your Federal and State income taxes prepared - and e-filed - for free! Taxes are done by trained volunteers through the local Free Tax Preparation Network. The Network is administered by the Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers (BFNC) and supported by Creating Assets, Savings and Hope (CASH), a United Way initiative.
Each year, to kick off the tax season, CASH holds a one-day event, known as CASH IN Saturday, where people can get their taxes done and take advantage of a range of other services - credit counseling, benefits screening, banking, and more. There will even be food, prizes, and fun activities for kids.
This year there are two locations, so that even more people can access these important services:
WHEN: Saturday, January 28, 2012
WHERE: 8:30 AM - 2 PM
CASH/BFNC Hope Center
Tri-Main Center, 2495 Main Street, Buffalo
11 AM - 2 PM
Matt Urban Hope Center
385 Paderewski Drive, Buffalo
If you want to get your taxes done, there are a number of items you must bring so that you and the preparer can get your taxes completed and filed. Here are the most important documents and resources you will need:
- Picture ID for you and your spouse, if you are married and filing jointly (both you and your spouse must be present if you are filing jointly)
- Social Security cards and birth dates for you, your spouse, and children you are claiming
- W-2 forms for jobs held during the tax year
- 1099 forms, such as 1099G, 1099Misc, 1099Int
- Any letter or notice you received from the IRS
- A copy of last year's return
- Information on any rent you paid on an apartment or house - you may be eligible for a New York State renters' credit
- If you paid for child care, bring documentation listing your provider's name, address, tax ID#, and the amount you paid for child care during the year
- If you, your spouse, or a child attended college, your tuition expense statement (1098T) and/or student loan interest statement (1098E)
- Documentation of any court-ordered child support
- Home interest and property taxes paid
- Medical bills paid
- Documentation of any charitable contributions you made during the year
Finally, for a faster refund, bring your savings and/or checking account routing numbers so you can sign up for direct deposit.
Even if you don't have all the necessary documentation to have your taxes prepared, be sure to stop by and take advantage of the many other services available! For more information on CASH IN Saturday, call 887-2671.