Designating your gift - Unrestricted / restricted contributions - general campaign
Gift restriction is offered as an elective, optional service. Our United Way does not charge a processing fee, therefore, to help minimize the cost efforts on handling donor designations, we have compiled a courtesy list of numerous recently recertified local health and human service ** charities (code # is optional and specific to the United Way of Buffalo General Campaign only). See important information below.
** What are Health and Human Services? They are agencies that work to improve and maintain the health and well-being of individuals by providing for necessities such as food, water, clothing, shelter, safety, and healthcare, psychological/social interpersonal needs [acceptance, dignity], and self-actualization/self-fulfillment [achieving one's full potential and prosperity] -- all by developing, promoting, encouraging, and adopting continued improvements in the areas of medicine, public health, social support services, and other disciplines.
2019 General Campaign charitable organizations for restricted (designated) gifts - click here
- The above-mentioned list of charitable agencies, a courtesy service to our donors, is discretionary and subject to change without notice. The United Way does not have an affiliation with, or endorse designations to other nonprofits, and any promotion is solely the responsibility of an agency.
- Organizations must provide a direct public Health and Human Service** (see definition above), and be currently eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions [not-for-profit] under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and located in the United States. If a for-profit business is chosen, the designation will be distributed locally.
- Please note that Animal-Related organizations typically do not provide a direct health and human service - these include: Animal Rescues | Animal, Wildlife, & Endangered Species Preservation, Protection, & Welfare orgs | Bird & Wildlife Sanctuaries | Fisheries Resources | Veterinary Services | Zoos & Aquariums | and other non HHS Animal Related Services/Training.
- If a charity is not already registered and approved to receive contributions with our United Way, additional processing time will be required, and the agency is subject to eligibility and individual response. Please provide full legal name of charity, rather than an acronym. For a new agency information form, click here. Charities will be required to recertify online annually in order to potentially maintain eligibility for receiving donor-designated contributions. For questions about agency designations and eligibility, please contact us directly.
- Charities with total designations of less than $200.00 may have a prolonged payment delay, based on pledge type (fully paid, payroll, etc.), actual collection experience, and standard bi-monthly minimum distribution amount.
- Many large national and international charities have a "Headquarters" (HQ) address shown on their website -- please be sure to select the correct local affiliate, branch, or chapter. If a donor would like to give to a particular program area of an agency, please be specific, as they are not displayed.
- For workplaces that have an employee agreement policy to continue payroll pledges into a new deduction/calendar year, please be aware that the United Way will not automatically designate gifts to a previously chosen agency. If a donor wishes to designate their gift to an agency to which they previously selected, the donor may complete a new pledge and provide the designation information at the time of their workplace campaign.
- Charities that receive payment from United Way donor-directed contributions do not issue tax receipts. Donors are asked to retain a copy of their pledge form, or email confirmation (online contributions), and in addition, the acknowledgment or thank you, and/or tax receipt that the United Way may send (if address is provided). For information regarding tax deductions and contributions, please contact your tax preparer. In addition, helpful IRS information may be found in IRS Publication 526 or IRS Publication 1771.
- Campaigns for employees paid by NYS (SEFA - State Employees Federated Appeal) or the Federal Government (CFC - Combined Federal Campaign): Agency name, code number, and annual eligibility are NOT interrelated or interchangeable to any content on this page or agency list, as application requirements, acceptance, and policies are separate from the United Way General Campaign. Please see the current directories for agency eligibility, number selection, and other information.
A helpful tool to see if an organization is tax-exempt can be found on the IRS website: https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/