Designating Your General (Regular Buffalo) Campaign Pledge

Donations made directly to our United Way make the greatest impact in our community because allocations are directed to many locally funded programs that address the most significant needs in the focus areas of Education, Financial Stability, and Health & Wellness.  Contributors may still wish to designate their gift to another health and human service agency.  Our United Way does not charge a processing fee, therefore, to help minimize the cost efforts on handling designations, we have compiled a list as a courtesy for our donors, which shows numerous Health and Human Service** 501(c)(3) charities in our local area (code # is optional and specific to the United Way of Buffalo General Campaign).  See additional information below.


** What are Health and Human Services?  Health and Human Service agencies work to improve and maintain the health and well-being of individuals by providing for necessities, such as food, water, clothing, shelter, safety, and healthcare, psychological needs, and self-fulfillment, such as education and achieving one's full potential, along with prosperity – by developing, promoting, encouraging, and adopting continued improvements in the areas of medicine, public health, social support services, and other disciplines.

The following are some examples of Health and Human Service categories:

Abuse, Violence (Human) Disease: Control, Diagnosis, Prevention, or Treatment Home Health or Adult Day Care Occupational or Physical Therapy
Aging, Elderly, Seniors Drug or Medical Safety Housing and Emergency Shelter Physical Disabilities
Basic Human Needs (Food/Water, Clothing, Shelter) Education (Help children/students succeed in school) Income / Financial Stability (Improve finances) Rehabilitation or Transitional Services
Child Abuse, Advocacy, or Welfare Family Counseling, Support, Well-being Job and Employment Services Residential Counseling or Management
Child Care, Development, or Education Food and Nutrition Juvenile Offender Services Social Service, Social Work, Social Well-being
Community Action, Living, Outreach, Well-being Food Safety Life Skills (Communication, Literacy, etc.) Substance Abuse (Drug and/or Alcohol)
Criminal Case Management Grief Counseling Medical and Biomedical Research or Treatments Therapeutic Assistance
Crisis & Emergency Intervention, Management, Services Health and Wellness (Build strong, healthy communities) Mental, Psychological, Behavioral Health Youth and Adolescent Services
Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities Health Care: Access, Cost, Quality, Resources, Safety    


2019 General Campaign Charitable Organizations - list not available at this time.


  • The above-mentioned list of charitable agencies, a courtesy service to our donors, is discretionary and subject to change without notice.  The United Way does not have any affiliation with, promote, or endorse donor-selected charities.  If you wish to give to a specific program area of an agency, please be specific, as they are not displayed.
  • Organizations must provide a direct public Health and Human Service** (definition and categories shown above), and be currently eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and located in the United States.  We love animals too, but please note that animal rescue/welfare organizations generally do not provide a health and human service.
  • If a charity is not already (pre)registered and approved to receive contributions with our United Way, additional processing time will be required and the agency is subject to eligibility and individual response.  For a new agency application, click hereCharities will be required to recertify annually in order to maintain eligibility for receiving donor-designated contributions.  The online recertification form can be completed through our website:   For questions about agency eligibility, please contact us directly.
  • Many large national and international charities have a "Headquarters" (HQ) address shown on their website - if contributing to one of these types of organizations, please be sure to use the correct (LOCAL) affiliate, branch, or chapter, if applicable.
  • Charities with total designations of less than $100.00 will have a prolonged payment deferment, based on pledge type (cash, payroll), actual collection processes, and our standard bi-monthly minimum distribution amount.
  • For workplace payroll pledges that are continued (rolled over) into a new campaign or deduction/calendar year, please note that the United Way will not automatically designate gifts to a previously chosen agency.  If a donor wishes to designate their gift to an agency to which they previously selected, the donor may complete a new pledge and provide the designation information.

SEFA - State Employees Federated Appeal (employees paid by NYS) agency name, number, and annual eligibility are NOT interrelated or interchangeable to any content on this page or agency list, as application requirements, acceptance, and policies are separate from the United Way General Campaign.  Please see the current SEFA directory for agency eligibility, number selection, and information.

Charitable Contributions:  For donor privacy, we do not release contact information to benefiting charities, unless given sole permission.  Charities that receive contributions through United Way donors do not issue tax receipts.  Please retain your pledge form or pledge confirmation, and in addition, your acknowledgment/thank you letter, and/or tax receipt that the United Way may send to you for your gift.  For information regarding tax deductions and your contribution, please contact your tax preparer.  In addition, helpful IRS information may be found in IRS Publication 526 or IRS Publication 1771.

A helpful tool to search for tax-exempt organizations can also be found on the IRS website: