Unrestricted / restricted (designated) contributions - general campaign
What are Health and Human Services**? Health and Human Service agencies work to improve and maintain the health and well-being of individuals by providing for necessities such as food, water, clothing, shelter, safety, and healthcare, psychological/social interpersonal needs [acceptance, dignity], and self-actualization/self-fulfillment [achieving one's full potential and prosperity] -- all by developing, promoting, encouraging, and adopting continued improvements in the areas of medicine, public health, social support services, and other disciplines.
2019 General Campaign - charitable organizations for restricted (designated) gifts - Click here
- The above-mentioned list of charitable agencies, a courtesy service to our donors, is discretionary and subject to change without notice. The United Way does not have an affiliation with, endorse, or promote designations to other nonprofits, and any promotion is solely the responsibility of an agency.
- Organizations shall provide a direct public Health and Human Service** (definition shown above), and be currently eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (not-for-profit) under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and located in the United States. If a donor would like to give to a particular program area of an agency, please be specific, as they are not displayed. Please note that Animal-Related organizations typically do not provide a direct health and human service. These types of agencies are categorized as Animal, Wildlife, & Endangered Species Preservation, Protection & Welfare; Bird & Wildlife Sanctuaries; Fisheries Resources; Veterinary Services; Zoos & Aquariums; and other Animal Related Services/Training.
- If a charity is not already registered and approved to receive contributions with our United Way, additional processing time will be required, and the agency is subject to eligibility and individual response. For a new agency application, click here. Charities will be required to recertify annually online in order to maintain eligibility for receiving donor-designated contributions. For questions about agency designations and eligibility, please contact us directly.
- Charities with total designations of less than $200.00 will have a prolonged payment delay, based on pledge type (fully paid, payroll), actual collection experience, and standard bi-monthly minimum distribution amount.
- Many large national and international charities have a "Headquarters" (HQ) address shown on their website -- please be sure to select the correct (local) affiliate, branch, or chapter.
- For workplace payroll pledges that are continued (rolled over) into a new campaign or deduction/calendar year, please be aware that the United Way will not automatically designate gifts to a previously chosen agency. If a donor wishes to designate their gift to an agency to which they previously selected, the donor may complete a new pledge and provide the designation information.
- Charities that receive payment from the United Way via donors do not issue tax receipts. Donors are asked to retain a copy of their pledge form, or email confirmation (online workplace contributions), and in addition, the acknowledgment or thank you, and/or tax receipt that the United Way may send (if address is provided). For information regarding tax deductions and contributions, please contact your tax preparer. In addition, helpful IRS information may be found in IRS Publication 526 or IRS Publication 1771.
- Campaigns for employees paid by NYS (SEFA - State Employees Federated Appeal) or the Federal Government (CFC - Combined Federal Campaign): Agency name, code number, and annual eligibility are NOT interrelated or interchangeable to any content on this page or agency list, as application requirements, acceptance, and policies are separate from the United Way General Campaign. Please see the current directories for agency eligibility, number selection, and other information.
A helpful tool to see if an organization is tax-exempt can be found on the IRS website: https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/